What Color is Transmission Fluid?
Transmission fluid, which starts as a translucent dark red shade, is dyed to identify any issues. At Wilde Lexus Sarasota, our goal is to ensure your new vehicle is safe to drive on the Lakewood Ranch roads. Our service center will answer any questions and provide information about the transmission fluid color.
Transmission Fluid Color Guide
As your vehicle ages, the transmission fluid color will darken, but it can also change color due to a malfunctioning transmission filter. Here is a color guide to follow and see if your transmission has any issues or if the fluids need replacing. Then make the drive from Venice so our trained mechanics can inspect your Lexus vehicle.
- Brand-new fluid: Dark red
- Normal: Darker brick red
- Service your vehicle soon: Deep blood red/rust red
- Service your vehicle immediately: Burnt/almost black
Red Fluid Leaking From Car
Is red fluid leaking from your car? With the red color, it makes identifying the problem–which is most likely a transmission fluid leak–easier. There are other ways of knowing when there’s a transmission leak:
- Odor: Transmission fluid typically has a petroleum smell. When it’s time to change the fluid, it will smell burnt.
- Consistency: Transmission fluid looks and feels oily and slick, just like brake fluid or engine oil.
- Location of the leak: With a transmission fluid leak, it typically happens at the front of the vehicle from the middle.
Stay On Top of Transmission Problems
- Advanced automatic transmission systems are now available, so it’s vital that you’re making sure you’re using the right transmission fluid and genuine OEM parts.
- Read through the owner’s manual to see which fluid to use, and the recommended maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
- Having your car serviced regularly helps to catch issues before they become serious. Our service department will know when to replace transmission components or have a transmission flush done.
Trust Wilde Lexus Sarasota for Your Service Needs
If your transmission fluid is leaking, or if the color looks too dark, schedule a service appointment at Wilde Lexus Sarasota so we can inspect and identify the issue. We’ll get your vehicle on the Bradenton roads in no time. Before coming in, check our rotating service specials and coupons available to help save on your visit!
More From Wilde Lexus Sarasota
Transmission fluid, which starts as a translucent dark red shade, is dyed to identify any issues. At Wilde Lexus Sarasota, our goal is to ensure your new vehicle is safe to drive on the Lakewood Ranch roads. Our service center will answer any questions and provide information about the transmission fluid color. Maintenance Schedule Schedule Service Transmission Fluid…
Schedule Service To preserve the longevity and safety of your Lexus vehicle, you should follow the Lexus recommended maintenance schedule that highlights the specific maintenance your model will need and when. However, there are plenty of general auto repair tips to adhere to regardless of what kind of car you drive. Learn more from the…
TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT SPECIAL Replace Timing Belt If your Lexus was built before 2006 and has not had a timing belt replacement, it’s time! $399.95 for a V-6 engine $499.95 for a V-8 engine Can be combined with Monday Specials Valid only at Wilde Lexus Sarasota. Plus any applicable tax, hazard or disposal fees. Subject to availability. Must…